How to Store a Mattress?
Mattresses do so much for us every night by providing a comfortable place to lay our heads – but not every mattress needs to be used all year round.
If a mattress in your home is going to go unused for a long period of time, it is wise to store it safely in a way that will keep it in good condition for when you are ready to use it again.
Not many people know how to properly store a mattress, and, consequently, leave them laying around in a way that can deteriorate the quality of the mattress. No need to fear, though, we’ve got your back.
Knowing how to store a mattress properly is helpful knowledge to have in your arsenal. It can prevent you from prematurely shelling out a hefty sum on a new mattress or from using one that’s fallen into disrepair while in storage.
Why is it Important to Store a Mattress Properly?
There are plenty of reasons you might want to store a mattress. Whether you are moving and need to keep it safely stored away for a short period of time, or because you want to have it put in storage long-term, knowing the right way to do so is essential to extending the lifetime of your mattress.
If maintained properly, a high-quality mattress should be able to last a minimum of 10-15 years. However, if a mattress is left in unfavorable conditions for an extended period of time, you can’t expect for it to last as long.
Here are some things that can happen to a mattress in storage if the proper precautions are not taken:
- If in a damp area, it can get damaged or moldy.
- It can become infested with dust mites or other bacteria.
- The coils and inner workings of the mattress could shift.
- The springs could become damaged.
As you can see, there are plenty of ill-fates that could unexpectedly befall your mattress if you are not careful and don’t put in the effort to store it properly. The few extra steps could mean the difference between finding your mattress just how you left it, and having to buy a new one.
Fortunately, storing your mattress properly only entails keeping a few simple things in mind when looking for the proper location and the way you are going to place your mattress in the storage unit. Just a little bit of extra thought and time can make your mattress last a full lifetime of 10-15 years of use!
How to Store a Mattress Properly
Following these and other tips to store your mattress properly is something your future self will thank you for!
- Try not to store your mattress in the basement, as these are places prone to dampness. In addition, keep them out of reach of sharp objects and pets.
- Be sure to clean your mattress thoroughly before storing it.
- It’s wise to invest in a mattress cover to help protect the mattress while it is stored away – a good option is a breathable, light cover that will extend over the entire mattress. At $20 or less at most stores, a mattress cover is certainly much cheaper than the cost to replace the mattress.
- If the mattress is going to be in storage for an extended period of time, store it in a flat position in your storage location. This prevents the coils and other inner workings of the mattress from shifting, as will happen if it is left on its side for a long period of time.
- Refrain from putting anything on top of the mattress while it is being stored. Heavy items especially can damage the material and springs.
- Once you’re ready to put the mattress to use again and remove it from storage, you should freshen it up a bit before putting it back on a bed. You can do this by simply sprinkling body sides with baking soda to absorb any odors it may have accumulated while in storage, and by vacuuming it afterward.
By following these suggestions you can rest assured that your mattress is stored properly.